View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: AJo and 98s: Two turn check behinds vs. LAGs

[ QUOTE ]
Hand one reminds me of a hand I posted a little while ago that you replied in actually (I think). The difference here is that this guy is a LAG. However, I don't know if this is enough info to make us believe that villain would make a stab at this river empty-handed often enough to make a call worthwhile. Also, most LAG's would call with Ace-high on a flop like this - I think betting this turn has enough fold equity in it to be profitable, and it will probably get you to a free showdown (which you will probably win pretty often). So you have 3 options

1) betting the turn and checking the river - gains fold equity, gets the S/D cheaply
2)checking the turn, calling the river - May encourage a weaker hand to bluff? not enough on this board or against this opponent IMO
3)check turn, fold river - wins the least, loses the least, would be preferred against passive opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I remember the hand you're talking about. I don't remember what I wrote, though [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

On the turn in the AJo hand, I thought there was a decent chance I was ahead. (I'm learning that some players, in response to my auto-bets, will pretty much make an auto-call.) Also, though, my line was influenced partly just by what I'd seen going on around the table in general. There had been bursts of hyper-aggro play with weak hands (such as king-high and low pocket pairs with three overcards on the board) in steal situations. And I knew my opponent was a LAG.

I was worried about getting checkraise-bluffed. (If I did bet, I wasn't even sure I should fold to a checkraise.)

And, FWIW, under the following specific circumstances, I don't want Villain folding a 6 outer on the turn (or a worse ace, which also would effectively have 6 outs on this board, because of the chop potential): (1) Villain will fold to the turn bet, but (2) Villain will bluff whatever two cards he has on the river whether he improves or not.