View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: How Does Derb Play?

First, DERB will play extremely aggressively postflop, with a definite consideration of position. He defend his blinds with a very wide range and also cold calls a lot in position with easily dominated hands like QJo and A9s. He continues to play with this aggression on the later streets, jamming frequently with draws even when they are not that strong. He throws in a mix of calling rivers with seemingly hopeless hand and folding to river bets a lot. He seems to me to have quite good hand reading skills, he certainly isn't afraid to fold for one bet in a big pot, but that being said, he is certainly not a prime candidate to bluff, because he will throw in call downs with A high, and is so aggressive on all streets. I think the two sticking points that really get to people are his very loose aggressive preflop play, and his capping of the flop and turn with marginal hands.

I remember one hand at 30/60, I raised UTG with 98s (I was playing very tight up until then) he called next with 97s (clubs) and another player called, the button three bet and everyone called. The flop was 765 with two clubs. He and I capped the flop with 2 others players still in. The turn was an offsuit J, and we capped the turn as well, one of the other players was all-in, and the other one folded. The river with a non-pairing club and I checked and he bet and I called. I was surprised because it seemed as though there was a good chance he was drawing dead to a chop. He makes plays like this all the time, capping with top pair no kicker, or a mid flush draw.