View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 PM

Default A good example of HORRIBLE play

A popular world class player said that all players make mistake, but the truely great players KNOW they are making a mistake as they are making them. I think I played this hand worse than any other hand I've played - and I KNEW I was playing it badly at the time!

Here is the setup:
NLHE MTT, about 240 started, top 27 get paid. It's real early and most players are still in it. Blinds are at 15/30 - no solid reads on anyone. Hero has around t1,200. Everyone else in the hand has t1,300-t1,700.

Action: It's folded around to Hero in MP. Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Fold, call or raise?

Answer: In this spot I put A9s in the category of bare minimum to open the pot with for value. I want action with my better hands and my hand is too good to limp. Hero raises to 90, the standard opening raise.

Action: Button calls 90, SB calls 90, BB calls 90.

The Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Pot = 360

Action: SB checks, BB bets 360

Do you fold, call or raise?

Answer: There are two factors to consider here. First, the pot is already large AND multi-way. That means that lots of chips are going into this pot in all likelyhood. Second, and more importantly, Hero has a bigger draw than you'd think at first glance. At first, this seems like you're being offered 2:1 on a flush draw. However, Hero's outs to the A are probably good since the bettor most likely does not have AK (he didn't re-raise). Therefore, Hero is probably about 45% to win HU against the BB's likely dry K. Calling here is the worst option since Hero is putting in chips as a dog with impropper odds and may not get paid off. Hero should raise here and move all-in. Then, he either gets all to fold OR he gets the proper odds on his draw given the already large pot.

Action: Hero actually FOLDS, Button folds, BB raises all-in, SB calls all-in, and each show KQ and KJ, respectfully.

I don't know what I was thinking here. I KNEW I was up against a dry king. I don't know why I passed up on this edge early on - I rationalized that I could pick a better spot. In reality, I was 45% to tripple up early on. Wow, can't believe I played the hand this way...