View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 9th Circuit Decision Regarding Children and Sex

[ QUOTE ]
With that precedent, you may see homeschooling being shut down and maybe even private schooling shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. WI v Yoder still applies and to the 9th's credit they acknowledge the right of the parent to choose where the child is educated, but once the parent chooses public education, they cannot demand that their child not be taught history, for example, even if they find some parts of history personally offensive. I agree with that. You can't run a school if every kid needs a unique curriculum. On the flip side, this case was about a survey not related to actual educating of the children but some nebulous future program to deal with "barriers to learning". But when deciding whether the survey was appropriate or not, I suppose while I would probably be angry as a parent, as a citizen (and conservative) I'd like that decision to be made on a local level so that my opinion would have some meaningful weight, whereas if it's done by judicial fiat from the 9th circuit (or SCOTUS for that matter) there's not much I can meaningfully do to change that ruling.

Whew, that was long! I'd be interested in hearing why you think this was a terrible ruling. And I'm a little surprised this hasn't made much of a splash in the media. I mean you've got kids, sex, public education, the 9th circuit! What more drama could you need for a story? That's why I used the WND as a source because there just wasn't much else!