View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: What Tiffany Willaimson did right

I know that this may not jive with your recollection Greg, but since you are still counting chips throughout the first part of this sequence, it would appear to be happening in close to real time. Because you are turned away from Sheik and concentrating on counting your chips, it makes sense that you didn’t notice what he said. The audio was likely more prominent in the show because the microphone was closer to him than you were at the table.

It doesn’t really appear, however, that she was rushed at all, although it’s not clear when the clock came in.

I know that there has been talk before about "creative editing" on some shows and having worked in film I understand how this can happen through mistakes or time compression.

Let’s check out the sequence:

After Raymer makes it 1.3 M, we see the table fold around to Sartori

[3 shot of Sartori, TW, GR]

We see Sartori fold,
Tiffany: “how much”
Greg: “1.3 M exactly”
Tiffany then looks at the dealer and says: “Could you count it please?”

This is all in one shot with no cuts and is clearly happening in real time.

[cut to overhead shot]

Greg is counting his chips, his face leaning on his left hand and turned away from Sheik.

Sheik: “Could you get a time on her please.”

[cut to close up on TW]

Tiffany: “I haven’t even…….. he hasn’t even counted it yet.”
Background voice, presumably Sheik: “he already told you how much he’s got honey.”
Tiffany: “You can’t get a time on it. I haven’t even got a count on this hand yet.”

[during the last sentence we cut from close up on TW back to the 3 shot of Sitori, TW, GR. Her right hand moves smoothly and matches motion through the cut and it is clearly done in real time.]

Raymer is still counting chips.

[cut to close up on Sheik]

Announcer starts talking about how this is related to the long fold by TW on another hand.

[cut back to 3 shot of Sartori, TW, GR]

Raymer finishes counting.

Tiffany: “1.3?”
Greg: “Yes.”
Tiffany: “Altogether?”

[cut to dolly shot of Raymer]

Greg <finally exasperated> “YES. 1……………..altogether I only have 1.3”

Although there are some cuts in this sequence, Greg is counting chips through most of it, and there is no sense of compression.

Following this are some cuts of close ups and two shots of TW and GR and banter about what a story this would be, Tiffany muses about the hand, and there is a lot of places where time was likely taken out so the hand wouldn’t take the full 5 to 15 minutes.

Although we hear the clock called for, we never see it come in and do not hear any countdown. It may have taken a while to get over there, and it’s not clear from the footage when it arrived. Because we see Raymer counting chips when Sheik calls for the clock, and Tiffany protest that the count isn’t done yet, his call for the clock must have occured during this period of time.

The second part of the sequence where there are more close ups and bantering is no doubt where these is “missing time” so that the hand didn’t take forever on TV.

I was glad to see the clock get called here; asking for a count was just a bush move on her part. For those who say that she had a right to an accurate count because a lot was on the line - Raymer had his chips in very orderly fashion and was clear about the amount. He was right next to her and she could see for herself how many he had. It was clearly just a stall on her part, especially when at the end after he does a whole recount for her and she still asks twice: “1.3?” “yes” “altogether?” Geez.

Either she is trying to stall or aggravate Raymer here, and it was just another example of her being rude. It’s a shame FossilMan didn’t have her covered here; I would have loved to see her bust out on a foolish call like this after essentially accusing him of being misleading about the amount.

Shauna