View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: \"Unions are Evil\"

I did not say I excuse the Ferrari fund. Far from it. However, it is a consequence of a democratic form of government, in that once the person is voted in there is little redress till the next election.

Perhaps there is a better way for a society to be built than having a democracy. However, no one has come up with one.

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that *if* unions use force (usually in the form of government protection) then they're comitting a crime. You suggested that I would allow corporations to get away with the same crime that I condemn unions for, which is 100% NOT true. I do NOT advocate a system with no checks on corporate power. Suggesting that I do indicates that you are either too lazy to read my posts, too dense to understand them, or just dishonest.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the unions use force, specifically in the form of government protection, than it is likely not a crime (it is the govt that defines the crime). Secondly corporations that manipulate prices usually do so with government protection.

My point in this thread is simple, people have put out anecdotes about how bad unions are because they allegedly get away with price gouging among other "crimes". Some of the same people are simply happy to accept price gouging if it is not from an organization called a union. This is clearly dishonest, as they are playing to the politics of the union vs corporation rather than looking at the underlying transaction and/or negotiation that has occured.

The second point is like all organization unions become buearacratic and the base for power building for people, just like corporations do -- hence the Enron anecdote (clearly I do not conclude that becuase of Enron the entire corporate structure is bad or incompetent or criminal).

Unions serve a purpose. The members in the unions choose to stay in the union because it is to their benefit. Whether they are too lazy to find a new line of work or for whatever reason. They have accepted that to maintain the quality of life they have they should be in that union.