View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Looking for a book on backgammon

I got Magriel's book at a local cardclub (now closed unfortunately) in softcover. I think it was recently reprinted. Don't pay big bucks for it, it goes for about $40.

Here are some titles you might be interested in if you like the game (and I believe most poker players would love this game if they could get away from the online poker for 5 minutes - most that I've met are not interested, even after I tell them that it's an awesome gambling game).

in no particular order:

Modern Backgammon by Robertie (his latest, and in my opinion one of the best books)

Classic Backgammon Revisited by Bagai - there are several mistakes in the classic books by Robertie/Magriel/etc. and this book corrects those mistakes using Snowie

New Ideas In Backgammon by Woolsey

Advanced Backgammon Vol. 1 and 2 by Robertie - a bit difficult on the eyes, but good nontheless

I don't think Magriel's book is all that great, but maybe it's worth buying now that's it's in reprint. I like the newer books better because backgammon theory has evolved over the years and people don't play the same as they did in the 70's/