View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Are Oil Companies Breaking the Law and If Not Should Laws be Changed

I've read and heard alot of rhetoric about how the oil companies are gouging. Also I've heard and read alot about people wanting to tax the oil company profits. If the oil companies are guilty of breaking the law then yeah lets build a case and prosecute. IMO they're probably not guilty of breaking the law but I could be convinced otherwise. Which brings up another question, if they're not guilty of breaking the law then should the laws be changed and if so how so? Taxes on gasoline tend to restrict supply and IMO they're a regressive form of taxation. We've discussed the possibility of redistributing taxes collected on gasoline before. If memory serve Wacki is the only poster I've read that has concrete proposals and ideas about redistributing income collected on gasoline taxes. Apologies if I'm forgetting other posters ideas. I've brought up the idea of government sponsored mass transit solutions but I haven't read any posts giving more details on how this might be accomplished. I don't have any myself but would certainly be interested in reading some.