View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: People\'s extreme misconceptions about professional poker playing

[ QUOTE ]
My father has a Phd and works as a statistician, and he doesn't believe me when I tell him that I am a winning poker player

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty damn interesting.
Not sure how he would not be able to see this.

My Dad took a couple of stats or probabilities courses in college and has done extremely well long-term in the stock-market (he retired at 50).
He knows nothing about poker really...but understands that it's kinda/sorta similar to the market.
He basically is aware that if you hasve a 0.5% advantage you can turn that into a HUGE long-term advantage IF you are given the opportunity to hit that teeny advantage over and over and over.
Thus, he understands there will be variance and fluctuations, but if one plays just better enough than their opponents (and the effect of the rake) then one will still be able to obtain a profit (as long as they have the bankroll to withstand the fluctuations).

I mean, some of this stuff can get pretty complicated sometimes...especially for those who don't know diddly about poker.
But the basics of just hitting that smallish advantage over and over really shouldn't be that tough to figure out for someone in statistics with a PhD.