Old 11-05-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Biggest Online Winner (BOW) Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like the idea, hate the example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate as to why you hate about the example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think calls this bet? The majority of the time this bet is called AK is gonna loose. You are pushing off weaker aces that would put a reasonable amount of money in and only getting hands that will beat you to call.

If the example he gave was TJ4 with a flush draw and you have a set of 4's you might get called by AA, KK, QQ, J10, maybe even AJ or KQ with the open ender and overs. You might get called by someone with the flush draw as well. There are a ton of worse hands that might call a huge overbet. With your set you are gonna be a favorite over all these hands. That would be a better example IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the example (as posted, anyway, I don't have the book), you have TPTK and are FACING a push, not pushing yourself. I think the point they are going for is that by overbetting the flop you can get TPTK to lay down. Of course, thats the last thing you want TPTK to do if you have a set, so its kinda contradictory.

[ QUOTE ]

After the flop the pot is 500.00
BOW has 5,000.00
I have 5,000.00 and Ac Kd
The flop comes down: Ah 7s 6s
BOW moves all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy forces you to play your sets in the same fashion as your strong draws. If you're pushing everytime you catch a strong draw, TPTK is highly unlikely to fold then you push with a set.

There a (3) things about this strategy that intrigue me:

- The amount of deception created from pushing monsters and strong draws

- The potential to put opponents on tilt, making it easier to win more money (esp. if running good).

- The "intimidation factor"

I see (3) significant problems w/ this strategy:

- The swings will be horrendous (as mentioned in the book)

- Good Opponents will adjust (also mentioned in the book)

- Amount of Fold Equity lost in SSNL Games because of calling stations