View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Which college should he choose?

[ QUOTE ]
So I took some time off after my freshman year, went to community college for about 2 semesters, and then transferred to Tulane (great [censored] place and warm weather too). New Orleans has got to be one of the best cities to go to school in. Tulane itself is not too bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, New Orleans USED TO BE one of the best cities to go to school in. At the moment 80% of the city looks like the back side of the moon. I believe Tulane plans to reopen in January. Most of the uptown area around Tulane did not flood, although Tulane did experience some flooding. Of all too much interest to Tulane students, the French Quarter is OK and up and running. But the city's infrastructure is shot. There is, for example, no landline phone service (the opportunity is being seized to install a fibe optic network. The mail is spotty. The cellphones are marginal. There is no sewage treatment on the east bank. There is no trauma center. The police department is inadequate (even by previous standards of inadequacy), and the city is being patroled by the National Guard--no one knows how long that will last. Much of Tulane's faculty has been laid off, and many of the rest are looking for jobs elsewhere. Who knows if they will come back? Unless a student actively wants to be a part of the rebuilding of a unique American city, I would give Tulane a miss for the next few years. BTW the Tulane student body is heavy on kids from NY and the mid-Atlantic who weren't quite Ivy material.