View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Performify\'s Pigskin Picks - Week Nine

Thanks CCx.

Anquan had seven grabs for 101 yards and a score in his only game against Seattle last year, so there's no question he'll be missed. However, I do expect Larry Fitzgerald will try to step up big and help to fill the gap. However I assume Seattle will look to double cover Fitz (given that they really don't need to fill the box to stop the meager Arizona running game). Look for Arizona TE Eric Edwards to be a frequent target, as well as the two RBs out of the backfield.

Bryant Johnson of Penn State fame will be filling in as the #2 WR and is back to full speed after a foot injury in early August. Johnson was the first round pick for AZ three years ago (#17 overall), and hasn't really had much chance to shine yet (he's pretty much been labeled an underperformer - will he rise to the occasion?). He's 6-3 215, very similar to Larry Fitz physically. He has serious speed (ran 10.65 in the 100m @ Penn State) and good open field running ability, so there's a lot of big play potential there. Certainly he was expected to be a lot better than he has proven in the opportunities he's had. A big game here would mean a lot for him.

Arizona has been practicing this week with a two wide format, using a FB and TE (instead of their usual three-wide set). This should help to spark their running game just a little, and should allow for a little more max protect against Seattle blitzes. I don't expect some serious turnaround for the AZ run game, but its certainly possible that Seattle's defense underestimates them and their new formation scheme might just be enough of an edge to make some serious progress.

I assume we see a lot of short quick passes early to build Warner's confidence. With Larry likely being double-teamed it will be a lot to the TE and the RBs out of the backfield, with some short slants and outs to Larry. Hopefully some big downfield plays to try to stretch the defense: both Larry and Bryant Johnson have a proven ability to draw pass interference calls with their big size and physical play, so I expect we'll see a couple major pass interference calls if not big downfield plays.

PS: I'll be pulling for a big Eagles win this week, although not formally a pick. I do hope that the score is something like 49-35 though, as my main fantasy team is loaded with players from both sides of this contest...