View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: L08: Just fold the flop?

NoSkills - If you check this flop, MP will almost surely bet and then you won't know what to do.

Therefore, if you're going to play after this flop, you have to bet the flop. You hate getting raised because if you get raised, you still probably won't really know what to do, but if you bet, maybe you won't get raised. (And if raised, cross your fingers and call).

The alternatives to betting this flop with your hand are
• (1) checking and folding,
• (2) checking and calling, and
• (3) checking and raising.

I think checking and raising (3) is too rash.

And chasing (2) is not generally good poker. If you check and call after the flop, you're probably going to be chasing all the way to the river, and you still won't know on the river if your opponent really flopped a wheel or not.

That leaves checking and folding as the best alternative to betting the flop yourself.

From what I read here, those six max games on PokerStars tend to be very aggressive.

If you're going to play successfully at an aggressive table, then I think you have to adopt an agressive style yourself. Checking and calling when you flop a set of aces (whether a wheel and flush draw is possible or not) is passive, not aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... that's an alternative.

It's hard to know what to do without knowing how MP and CO play other hands. One of your two active opponents might have 23XY, but probably not. Assuming MP plays aggressively (as here), I would not check/fold after this flop. But I wouldn't usually check/call/chase either. I'd usually simply bet the flopped set of aces and go from there.

Just my opinion.

Buzz