View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: A strange hand... blind defense at 15/30

[ QUOTE ]
in my experience a 3 bet preflop does not preclude a check raise on the flop. its one of my pet plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you do this with hands that are not overpairs on the flop as well? Let's put it this way:

a) CO will steal with a wide range. That means lots of hands are playable for me. So...

b) if you are going to 3-bet your good hands, that still leaves lots of hands that are playable but not 3-bettable. so...

c) you also need to 3-bet lots of weak hands to balance your strategy, if you give your opponent any credit, now...

d) if you 3-bet / check-raise with big hands, you also need to take this same line with weaker hands.

Do you?

Also, you aren't nearly as sure that you'll get that flop bet after you 3-bet preflop. If you call and check, most players bet every time, no matter what the flop or what they hold. So you virtually always get 4 SB in by the end of the flop. If you 3-bet and check, I'd guess you get a lot more check behinds then you do if you call and check.

Your line is certainly a viable option, and has merit if only because few players will have seen it or understand how to handle it well.

-eric