View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance EV question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the same thing before, health insurrance is -EV and only necesary for those w/o a large enough BR. However, this fails to take into consideration the power that health insurrance companies have in negotiating lower rates. So their rake is mitigated.

[/ QUOTE ]are you saying health insurance companies actually get better deals, enough to offset the costs of health insurance? I find this somewhat hard to believe, can you be more specific or provide evidence somewhere? I'm not saying you're wrong I want to believe you I just want proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

The example I gave yesterday was I got a series of routine (but thorough) bloodwork done this summer. The hospital charged over $700, but the insurance company only paid $200 or $300, and the hospital got stiffed on the difference. If I didn't have insurance, I would have had to pay that $700 myself.

The insurance companies get better rates because they are big enough to negotiate it. This is why many doctors I know won't accept Medicare patients without a referral, because Medicare will stiff them.

You're not buying the insurance, you're buying the discount. I don't think it should be called "insurance" in the first place, as the insurance aspect is only part of the benefit.