View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Cardplayer articles I think some Micro players could benefit from.

Good articles. I think the last sentence is something that I tend to do.

"Don’t just estimate your outs and pot odds; calculate them to avoid overweighting small probabilities. And when the results of your calculation tell you to fold, do it."

While I always try to calculate my odds instead of just estimating them sometimes I go overboard. Especially in a 6max game where I have the mentality that overcards are worth more than in a full game because 1 pair is more likely to hold up. Example: I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds call.
The flop comes something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets and BB folds. I start thinking that I've got close to 6 full outs because HU both my A and J should win if one falls. I tend to ignore the fact that SB could have me reverse dominated which, in a full game would make me think of overcards closer to 3 outs which would make me fold. I also start to think, hey, maybe he's bluffing and I'm really ahead so I should stay in. I'm not saying that I would be necessarily 100% wrong in thinking this way (I don think overcards shouldn't be discounted as much and A high has more value) but this article illustrates the reasons why I do think this way.