View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Sleep Apnea Surgery - any experiences with UPPP?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd try a better/different CPAP before surgery. My wife has serious apnea, and recently switched CPAPs. This one is a MUCH more comfortable one with variable pressure and a better mask.

Then get a second opinion.

If better/different CPAP fails and second opinion agrees, get the surgery. Sleep apnea can really make life more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've tried several masks and have decided that I don't want to use a CPAP for the rest of my life. I have alot of other medical problems and this is an attempt to make things easier for myself over the long run.

I have read some bad stories about UPPP, but I have studied it alot. The medical profession generally says that the UPPP alone is a success in roughly 70% of cases. (I don't know how they define success) I think it is important to remember that if someone has problems with a CPAP that can't be reasonably fixed (allergies, comfort, etc.), then CPAP is not 100% effective either. Also, if the surgery can reduce the level of apnea from a severe to a very mild case where the CPAP is no longer needed, then I would consider that a success.

I have a large uvula (the fatty mass at the top back part of the mouth). When I am tired I can feel this blocking my air (when I am awake). When I used to drink, it would sometimes flap excessively when talking or laying in a certain position. IMO, if this obstruction were removed, my breathing would have to become easier.

Also, most articles I have read say that this surgery is most successful when performed with a similar surgery (to further correct the blocked airway). So the tongue reduction should help also.

My doctor also said that no matter what surgical procedures were performed that sleep apnea would probably be a problem again if I were to gain alot of weight. For other health reasons I have to control my weight, so that won't be an issue.