View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: When to call with a draw HU

Thanks for the info. Just to comment on what's been said:
1. I didn't go all in preflop because I figured he'd only call w/ JJ or higher pair, or mabye AK...just the hands I DONT want to see.
2. The range of hands I had my opponent on were: A-anything, K8 or better, QJs, any pair. With $900 in the pot, I was getting 3:1 on my call, so I figured go for it, I'm ahead at least that much of the time.
3. As I explained in my post, I felt I needed to have at least 20% odds of winning if I fold to make it worthwhile. I would have been outchipped 3:1; that means it would take 2 all ins, winning both, to win. (I know this isn't how it would play out, but it's a good first order approximation.) Assuming even money on each all-in, I've got 25% odds. This means that folding should be slightly preferred to calling, but it really is a close call. Factor in the fact that I feel I was slightly outclassed, and it's almost a wash. Obviously if I thought I had a skill advantage, I'd definately fold.
4. My bet of $444 was not some signal I had trips. I wanted to lead with a bet of $400-500. $444 is almost equal to $450, and slightly less effort to type. I do this frequently and doubt if it affected my opponent one way or the other.