View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 03:27 AM

Default California Prop 73 - abortion fanatics vs. god freaks

A minor is the responsiblity of a guardian. No one can touch that minor without the guardian's permission.

In california, there is a law exempting abortion from this very reasonable and important rule. If a minor wants an abortion, they are treated like an adult. 12, 13 years old, no problem.

Now, abortion fanatics have tunnel vision. All they care about is abortion, and anything that expands abortions is good. For some people, there's nothing they won't be willing to sacrifice or overturn in their cause for more abortions.

So they're willing to give up their own authority as a guardian of their children just to keep push abortion. They think, "hey, I wouldn't stop my own child from getting one, so no parent should be allowed to. In fact, let's make it so that no parent even has to know about it!"

This is a foolish and selfish way to approach public policy. But the abortion tunnel-vision they possess stops them from seeing clearly.

I'm a big fan of Roe v. Wade. But abortion is not the be all end all of public policy.

NO ONE should be able to secretly render medical treatment on my child without my permission MUCH LESS without even my knowledge. I don't care what kind of treatment it is. Making abortion special here is a mistake. A terrible mistake.

Today a bunch of busy-body righteous do-gooders have decided that your child's abortion is none of your business. Why? Why is abortion so special? What is next?

I can imagine a very slipper slope where any vocal nanny-group can push through a new law exempting your guardianship of your own children in the case of things like their weight, their mental health, etc. After all, they can perform abortions on your child in secret, why not open it up to other less invasive treatments?

Imagine how you'd feel if you found out some teacher had pushed Ritalin onto your child and taken them to a doctor to get prescriptions for it behind your back. After all, you're just a meddling parent who doesn't know what's best for your child. Even if you have no problem with Ritalin, as a parent you should be very interested in being part of that medical decision and talking with the doctor. The same scenario could play out for all kinds of medical questions such as:

weight treatments
elective surgeries
anti-depressants
vaccines you are wary of

Abortion is not a special case. A minor doesn't get to make their own health care decisions. That's the parent's job. Undermining that role and responsibility of the parent only increases the ever-tightening grip of state over family. It's a recipe for disaster.

Vote yes on prop73 if you live in CA. It's not about abortion.

natedogg