Thread: Netflix email
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Netflix email

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's very blatant. Some guy made a great linked study of it that someone posted here before. There have been threads here about it before.

I always chime in to them because of my personal experience with Netflix being so disappointing after I started really using their service a lot. I couldn't have been a bigger fan at first, but that was based on service they decided to no longer give. Kind of a lame payback for upping your subscription and remaining a long-term customer. I still can't believe Ninja Scroll has been at the top of my queue for like 8 months.

Definitely wasted some money on the big plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea about how many you were getting with the 8-at-once plan, and how many with 3? Not getting the "long wait" movies is frustrating, I actually hadn't realized until recently that it was worse because I was getting more movies than average. Also, do you remember what that study might have been titled? I'm looking around and haven't found it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

analysis of netflix dvd allocation system

Eventually with the 8 at once plan, because of the delays in both sticking them in the mail and acknowledging receipt or returned ones, I was getting probably something like 3 to 5 DVD's if you compared to the original great speed. At first they would acknowledge receipt the very day after I stuck it in the mailbox and then ship my replacement out that day. I could turn around 3 DVD's twice a week easily. Eventually it took up to a few days for them to acknowledge receipt, and they started acknowledging receipt but putting a new DVD in the mail a day or two later instead of on the same day. This effectively something like doubled the time it took to turn around a DVD for a new one, sometimes worse. So, I paid more than double the price but got much less than double the DVD's and service.

If they analyze my account, I figure they'll eventually note me as a customer who takes out fewer DVD's per month and maybe I'll actually get to see Ninja Scroll and Land of the Dead and other such things that get stuck in my queue. I figure I'll be able to turn over about as many DVD's on the 3 at once plan as I did on the 8 at once plan. But even if I don't, the 8 at once plan wasn't worth it to me once it slowed to a crawl. Heck, if I put something at the top of my queue it's because I want to see it, not wait six months to see it. For 50 bucks a month, I deserve better service than that. For 20 bucks a month, maybe I'll get it.