View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM

Default FILM REVIEW: First Blood

RAMBO!

You read this word, and what do you think? If you're anything like me, you think over-the-top cheesy 80's action.

But the first in the rambo trilogy, 'First Blood' is very unlike the 2 Rambo flicks that followed. This is no journey into the fantastic, It's tense, exciting, about as realistic as a wham-bam-action flick can be, and well-acted and directed. The script is sub-par, but it really doesn't matter, this is a very engaging and exciting little number.

A loner wanders into town, but sheriff warns him to move on. When he doesn't they take him in, and he proves to be a Vietnam vet. When they try to restrain him, he has flashbacks that cause him to turn on his special services training, and break out, prompting a man-hunt. But these guys really picked the wrong man to hunt...

Stallone is tip-top here, and I'd say this particular film, along with Rocky and 'Paradise Alley', are among his best work.

Likewise, Brian Dennehy plays the enraged sheriff excellently, combining both a covert and overt menace and anger with a sense of confusion when things don't go his way. Kirk Douglas was originally outlined to play this role, but it's hard to imagine anyone doing it better than Dennehy.

If you've seen it, maybe this review will make you want to see it again - ifyou haven't, you got a nice little film treat in store!

Overall, a smart, pacy, exciting action film - no epic, but a head and shoulders above most of the action pack, because it has the virtue of being much more realistic than the others..

OVERALL: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY: Yearly
Suitable for 13+, I'd say.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

Recent Reviews: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, On Her Majesty's Secret Service