View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Building a poker computer

[ QUOTE ]
raid 0 isn't going to improve service time, it's just going to increase your sustained transfer rates. this is useful for large sequential loads (e.g. copying a 2GB file back and forth) but for random access it's not going to do anything for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never considered raid 0. Right now I've been thinking about getting a reasonably priced 160 GB Seagate barracuda 7200.9 which has a read/write time of 13.7 and 14.9 via IPEAK SPT. The raptor's times are about half of that according to storage review. Right now I'm just wondering if the raptor is worth it as I still not sure how that will effect real world PT performance. I have no special urge to buy one but I've seen so many people go nuts over it.

All I know is I never look at my stats because it takes several minutes to switch between windows. PT always goes into "not responding" mode via the task manager when the computer is plugging away. When accessing my stats CPU is only around 8% usage so I'm guessing the raptor is probably the way to go.

[ QUOTE ]
if you hit ctrl-shift-esc you can look at your peak commit charge to see what the most amount of ram that you've simultaneously used is since your last reboot. odds are it's not anywhere close to 2GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have and it's 1.05 GB. Considering the cost of value ram I figured going for 2 GB is a no brainer. I guess I could get a 1 gig and a 512 but I've found good package deals on 2x1 GB's.

Thanks for the advice astro.