View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Atlantic Trout - TPcrapK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. What good player is calling you on the river with a hand worse than Q3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, in general I am playing LAG. What are you doing with a hand like KQ, QJ, QT here? I think automatically saying "fold" is very weak tight.

If you were the villian, what would you put hero on? Surely the 3 didn't help him...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold those hands because this line doesn't make sense for a bluff. The reason it's a bad bluff is because you're risking your whole stack to win a medium size pot, and you're not really representing any legitimate hand while you do it. Out of the range you are bluffing out, a fair amount still calls. This opponent has represented a strong hand and there is no reason to think you can take him off of it. So you would not bluff here. If your opponent is good, they will realize it makes no sense to bluff here and give you credit for a hand. This will likely only work to an extent though because it becomes increasingly harder to lay down better hands. In fact, I think the threshold actually lies somewhere around your hand, meaning that your opponent folds everything worse than your hand and calls with everything better.

Now you might say, well if this makes no sense for a bluff, and we're getting them to fold tpgk hands, why not do this as a bluff. But it still doesn't make much sense as a bluff because you're still getting called by a decent portion of their range even though you do fold out some made hands.

So it doesn't make much sense as a bluff because you're risking your stack to win a medium pot against an opponent who can call with alot, but what they can't really call with are the hands that your Q3 beats. And that's why this is a bad value bet IMO. I'm saying that he's essentially told us he has at least a Q or better. He should know you know this. So if you show the mammoth strength that check raising the river indicates he will likely fold a lone Q. He can do this because he knows you shouldn't be bluffing this river either because so much of his range calls that its not worth risking your tournament. Even though you've shown huge strength though I don't think he can fold two pair or better because this is what you could be doing this with. Given the dead money and people's love of good hands he likely calls with two pair or better. Essentially you're folding out hands you beat and not hand that beat you. Not the optimal value bet.

I'm having alot of trouble conveying what I'm trying to say, but I know exactly what I want to say. It's rather frustrating, but hopefully you get the idea.