View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Default weekly home poker tourny

So I wanted to get everybody's opinion on starting a weekly home tourny. The normal game most of us were playing at was in a warehouse that had tourny's just about every night for a year or so. This particular place took a rake (actually just part of the buy in money) to make a profit. It got shut down by the cops more for illegal poker machines than anything else. There hasen't been anything going on since then and I've been thinking of hosting a tourny in my garage. My question: Am I out of line to expect people to pay $20 (prize pool) + $10 (the house) to play in my weekly event?? Most of these people aren't close friends, just people I've played poker with. The old tourny had high participation in the 60's all the way down to 9 people sometimes. I would limit my tourny to 27 as that is all the room I have in the garage. I not going to allow alcohol and might provide light food. My neighborhood is pretty wide open so I don't see parking bothering any neighbors (I live on 2 acres). With a wife and 3 year old I want to keep it out of the actual house. IMHO I think it's fair to ask for $10 just to set up a tourny with a potential prize pool of $700 (rebuys/add ons)especially when there isn't anything else in the area. We were paying basically a rake before, I can't imagine anybody complaining now. Any ideas/comments??