View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Snakes on a Plane

It is really quite useful. You sound like you do a lot of the math on most hands anyway -- I'd imagine that getting comfortable with Excel or a similar spreadsheet program (which really doesn't take all that long) could save you a lot of time. The key is being able to play with a bunch of variables and seeing the changing outputs one after the other -- I cannot stress for those who haven't done it (longhanded or in a spreadsheet and it sounds like TStone has done it) how surprisingly sensitive some assumptions can be to the overall EV and how much it opens one's eyes as to the importance of honing good judgment about your opponents' range and probability of actions.

I may dig up an example -- I'm afraid the only one I have handy is a very complex situation that involved multiple sensitive variables over at least two streets and would probably only make using something like this look both (1) ridiculously complex to someone not comfortable with Excel, and (2) pretty marginal utility since so many future events need to be accounted for.