View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Increase PF Raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Like always, just follow the SSHE chart religiously. Do it even if you don't understand why. Do it even if your feeling like it's wrong. Just do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to work out if this was sarcastic, and in the end I decided it wasn't. If I'm right, then this advice makes me sad.

When you're just starting out, following a preflop chart is a great idea, as it gives you a solid foundation for good preflop play. But to improve as a player, you need to understand why the chart is how it is. If you don't understand why Ed et al put something in the chart, reread the preflop section until you do.

Yes, as others have stated, postflop play is where it's at, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort to understand why you're doing what you're doing preflop.

You need to understand why it's correct to raise AA whatever the action, you need to understand why not to coldcall a raise from a tight player with AJo and you need to understand why your PFR % should be highest on the button.

I promise you that if you make the effort to learn why you're raising when the chart tells you to, your PFR % will rise. But note that that shouldn't be your aim in and of itself - i.e. don't just blindly try to reach those mystic numbers that someone somewhere has told you is the correct way to play. Understand what is going on and your numbers will fall into place.