View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: I\'ll admit it, I\'m against government sponsored gay marriage...

[ QUOTE ]
I think a better analogy is maybe some sort of business entity. People can make a contract to create a certain type of business, but that business type (partnership, limited partnership, corporation, etc.) only has teeth because of the government's recognition of the business type and the govenment's decision to confer certain rights/responsibilities upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. You simply can not remove the government as a party in something like this and expect it to work (especially in the case of testifying in court). This is exactly why all people should be allowed to marry with regards to the state. (Why should a gay man have less protection in court than a straight man if his partner is called to testify against him? Maybe we should say that people with more than a million dollars can't get married... bet you that would piss off a lot of rich people who have to pay more taxes.)
If you are a bigot feel free to marry in your own church seperate from a government marriage to show your opposition to gay marraige.