View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Computer + Smoke = Bad

Hey all, I could use some help identifying my problem.

Yesterday my computer blew up. It was running along and then I heard something click in the box and everything shut down. Confused, I brilliantly hit the power button to turn it back on when I heard a grating sound and bad smelling smoke started coming out of the back. Since then the power button is completely unresponsive.

I built this computer myself and it had been working great for several months now. It was an nForce4 Ultra mobo with an athalon xp chip, antec sonata case if that matters. Also, I change houses from time to time and carry my computer with me. It's possible something came loose or was damaged during transit. I had just changed locations right before it broke.

I need help figuring out what to do next. I need to fix this, but I'm not sure how. First off, I'm not sure what went wrong. Does anyone have a guess whether it's the processor, the mobo, or the power supply that 'burst'? (I'm assuming those are the main culprits). Also, can anyone speculate as to what caused this to happen? I don't want to go buy another processor/heatsink just to have the same thing happen again.

I know this is limited information, but I really need some help here. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to respond quickly. Thanks,