View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: A hand from the 2+2 table last night

[ QUOTE ]
I'm raising the flop, calling a 3-bet and raising nearly any turn for a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate this play, especially heads-up -- because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Your 'free' showdown costs you just as much as calling him down does! Plus add in the off chance he checks the river after you call anyway, or the much uglier prospect of getting 3-bet on the turn or stop-and-goed on the river. So raising on the turn for the sake of a 'free' showdown is obscenely atupid.

[ QUOTE ]
What is Pax's goal with that c/r? Is it strictly value in his mind, or could there be a bluff component? What hands does he think I'm capable of folding here? What would he expect me to call down? What would he expect me to 3bet? How do those hands stack up against his range?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it depends on his actual hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

For something like AK it is a goodish semi-bluff, hoping that you would call down with AQ or KQ or the like, thinking that your cards are live while getting 8:1 on a call. Ot he can also hope he can fold out a hand like 99-TT and even if you call, he still has outs. He's either way ahead or drawing live here; it's a bizarro option select

Or he could have a big pair and do this purely for value. It just sucks for you because your hand is on the lower end of all this.

-K