View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: To Those Who say That A Well Trained Devout Catholic

David, I truely appriciate your intelligence, but this is an example for one of the most stupid threads imaginable. And no, I don't think it's stupid because it's not politically-correct or anything (I care very little about PC) it is stupid because it it signifies a very superficial and childish way of looking at things, that remind me discussions of some 12 years old boys.

And sure as can be, this thread already brought us few of the most ridiculous lines I've read on 2+2 in a very long time:

From Peter666:

[ QUOTE ]
I say it is about a tie between the Jew and Moderate Muslim, followed by the Lutheran. Because it is a set of unquestionable commands, the Jewish faith can look at questions without interference (so long as none of their commands strictly forbids them to do this).

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount of ignorance presented here is unbelievable. I almost want to cry.

I'm not a regular at this forum, so of course I mean nothing to any of you here, but since I do think that there are quite a few very intelligent people here (as I can say by reading from time to time) I think it's really sad that this forum discusses mainly all kinds of ridiculous questions with regard to "religion". I'm writing "religion" because IMO discussions about religion can be very interesting and go very deep, but it's definitely not what's going on here. This thread, as many of your other threads too, discuss "religion" in probably the most uninteresting possible way, as if all that is interesting about religion is "who is more logical", Protestants or Chatholics, or X or Y. Come on, this is 3rd grade level of discussing religion. I think that even in high-school you go deeper than that (I would admit that I don't know much about high-scools in the USA... maybe I'm wrong and this discussion represents very high level of thinking in comparison...)

"Religion" as a whole is a fascinating thing to discuss, mainly because it touches upon the most basic and often ancient ideas created by human-beings, and on the other-hand, some extremely complex religion systems were devoloped over time. Researching it, thinking about it, discussing all this, comparing those systems of "action" and "belief" can bring some incredible fruits. But not here, apparently.

Also, I would expect that a rather big variety of subjects could be discussed in a forum called "science, math, philosophy", other than "religion". But it doesn't look like you are much interested in anything but those little superficial "discussions" about "religion", and again, it feels like such a waste.

Now it's clear that something is really bothering you, on a personal level, with regard to what you might call the characterstics of that historical "Jewish-Christian" God, but IMHO, big parts of what seem to bother you are issues that were discussed endlessly before, in a much more thorough way than it's done here. I'm 100% positive that you might even learn one or two things if you bother to go deeper into texts that deal seriously with the philosphy of religion.

Again, I have all the respect for you as a very intelligent person, so I don't mean all this to be some kind of an insult.