View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Guns, Smoking, Drinking, and Sex

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Conservatives are so stupid...

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are simply brilliant making a comment like that, aren't you? It's going to immediately bring everyone around to your way of thinking, isn't it? It's just so enlightening. It certainly won't offend anyone, will it?

So, that makes you, uh, well maybe your brilliant mind can figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abstinence only approaches, primarily advocated by conservative, religious groups are bad ideas because they argue for extreme measures.

Saying not to have sex in order to prevent AIDS/STDs is like saying we should ban automobiles in order to prevent accident-related deaths. Sure it solves the problem, but at great costs. I realize that every time I drive in my car (have sex) I have x chance of dying (getting an STD) but I personally decide that the gains from driving my car exceed the harms of doing so. Wearing a seat belt (using a condom) and driving safely seem to be more realistic alternatives.

The only reason why this is a bad analogy is because if used properly condoms are nearly virtually certain of preventing the spread of disease whereas wearing a seat belt while driving like a maniac or being in the wrong place at the wrong time is still dangerous.