View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Why All The Details?

[ QUOTE ]
When I asked about the "In His Image" statement, Not Ready referred us to a website that went into lengthy intricate detail about the subject, describing all the various, Christian theories and what was right and wrong about them. But what is the point of all this? Because even devout Christians seem to agree that God will not be angry or punish you if you get these details wrong.

I said before that one problem with being religous is that it wastes time. Time that could be used for more productive things. That's been countered with the idea that earthly things don't matter as much as the afterlife. But even if you accept that, it doesn't apply once you have gotten the basics down. The things relevant to that afterlife. Spending inordinate time trying to figure out details that even God doesn't care if you know, sounds an awful lot like an excuse to escape any responsibility to improve the world. And you think God would applaud you for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not following the details will cause you problems and/or heartache here on Earth. For instance, sex can cause pregnancy, STDs, bad feelings, psychological issues...etc. The fact that a lot of people don't follow the details does not mean that it's good for you to not follow them.

Also, God provides for more "treasure" (rewards) in heaven for the righteous man.

Simple answer: Following the rules leads to an easier life (though not guaranteed...e.g. Job) and leads to more treasure (rewards) in heaven (guaranteed). It also pleases God and, if you love God, you will desire to please him (at least to some degree).