View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: They brought back Phil Garner

Garner is a great motivator, that is why he could rally that team back from the cellar. But I have to say that I think he made alot of poor decisions in the World Series. I pretty much blame Games 1 & 2 on him.

Here are mistakes I think he made:

1) Game 1 leaving Mike Lamb in the face Cotts with 1 & 3 and one out in the 8th when he could have brought in a better contact/speed guy like say Burke or Viz to face the lefty when then you could probably make a squeeze play or let Burke hit who has good enough speed to hopefully stay out of the DP.

2.) Game 1 leaving Bagwell in to face Jinks in the 8th with 1 & 3 and 2 outs when Bagwell clearly did not have the bat speed to handle Jinks, and he had shown that all through this season. Viz or Palmerio would have been a much better matchup for us.

3.) Game 3 letting Taveras hit with 1 & 3 with the winning run on 3rd, when again a strike out kills you and Taveras is known chase poor pitches, if you leave him in you have to squeeze I think. Either Safety or Suicide. But I think again Palemerio would have been a better matchup here.

4.) Leaving Ensberg in the 4 slot when he clearly had no clue at the plate.

5.) Bascially I felt like Garner let Guillen dictate pretty much every matchup in the series.