View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: OT: what would really kill sitngo profitability

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess my issue with what ChrisV is saying is that . . . it seems to be he is saying that, despite the fact that we cannot say for sure that the IQ test is sufficient to determine genetic differences in intelligence, that shouldn't preclude us from determining that there are genetic differences in intelligence. But I don't see what evidence has been provided, apart from the IQ test, to suggest that that is in fact the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is that there is a large body of evidence to say that different races get different average IQ test results. There's no evidence to say that IQ tests are a good measure of "intelligence" because that's just semantics: it depends on your definition of intelligence.

Read the stuff in that article I posted on the general mental factor g for a discussion of the nature of whatever it is we're measuring.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the IQ tests are not blind to education, training and being able to read. But some asian countries have reported better averages than any other country. The reason for that could be one of several (selection bias, better preparedness, deliberate misrepresentation because of national pride and of course a higher IQ). It is also noticable that if you believe these studies the average person in some African countries are at the level of a retard (~70 IQ).

I would take these studies with a pretty large grain of salt. Most likely there are pretty big problems with data collection and sample size. Besides that it is these days pretty hard to find serious academics that equate IQ tests with intelligence. The tests are pretty limited. Don't tell Sklansky though. I don't want him to pop a vein.