Thread: Thriller
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Thriller

[ QUOTE ]
Will he not raise AK or KQ here too?

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt he would have raised preflop with KQ. Maybe suited. If he will raise AK here on the turn, then anything other than check/calling on my part is clearly very wrong. But this isn't Party Poker and my default assumption is that AK probably isn't raising here. But of course it is possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Just check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, that's fine. This was just a checkup. Everyone likes a check-call. Cool.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and what does "playing overs" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
We've got these things called overs button. They are big yellow buttons that say "Over" on them and anyone in the game can take one (not in the middle of a hand, obviously). If any postflop betting round starts with only players with overs buttons, then that round is played "in overs", meaning at higher than normal stakes. We used to always do 30/60 overs in this game, but recently it's been 40/80. So if only people with overs button make it to the river, the river is an $80 street. If anyone without overs makes it, it's a $40 street as usual. If only people with overs see the flop, it's a $40 round and the turn and river are $80 rounds. Etc.

I want to start posting some hands from the game where overs buttons come into play because they aren't discussed in poker literature at all (as far as I know) and they create interesting situations. Obviously, they affect your thinking about implied odds/ reverse implied odds. But there are also times when you raise a hand you otherwise wouldn't because you want to knock out the player without overs so you take the next street in overs. There are other times when the only non-overs player(s) have seen this street but have folded before it's your chance to act, so you might slowplay where you normally wouldn't since you are now guaranteed that the next street is in overs. And so forth. Good times.

Here's a hand I posted recently where they came into play. This was when we were doing 30/60 overs.