View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Poker discourages me from staying in college

Hey man, I know pretty much what you're feeling as far as the dilemma between college and poker. Im a 20 y/o soph at OSU and I've made about 40k in the last few months (225k hands). I feel the pressure to postpone school but I've also been considering taking the minimum amount of credit hours and just budgeting my time well. I'm a Comp Sci major, which isn't the easiest major but I'm pretty good with school stuff so I dont have to put much time into studying and homework. If you plan your schedule right you should be able to have your nights open to play which is where most of the money is at. I usually play 3 - 4 hours a night 8 tabling $400 - 1k 6H games even with school. And 5 - 6 hours a night on the weekends. This leaves me plenty of time go out and get shitfaced or whatever else I want to do too. If I quit school the only advantages would be being able to travel to play some bigger tourneys and maybe playing a couple more hours a day. I played full time over the summer for awhile and it gets boring fast. It's really hard to sit at a comp for 8 hours a day playing cards, even though I was making good money, playing more than 6 hours/day for days on end would get old fast. First Im going to try trimming down my academic schedule and see how that goes, and if I really feel the need to postpone school after that then I'll re-evaluate the situation. Let me know what you guys think about this plan or if you have any good ideas. Thanks.