View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: The Good of religion

The good of religion???

I see religion as a result of evolution, albeit a form of exo-evolution. I say evolution because like dna, it transmits from generation to generation, and in fact does it truly faster than physical evolution. It does so, as other cultural artefacts, it is by no means the only one. Now, being a result of evolution, it may have been useful for survival at one point in time. Useful, from the point of view of binding people together in their activities and attitudes for instance. Being so, like all evolutionary processes, it will, if not already is, be superceded by new cultural artefacts as understanding of the importance of cooperation dawns, for instance, or it will fall in uselessness (not neccesary for, or able to contribute to, survival edge) as circumstances (ie the environment) changes. Will the replacement be better or worse, is a moot point, I will say that it will be more appropriate/useful to the circumstances at the time(like people intelligence and knowledge increase, new tools, or even global climatic changes even if caused by humankind).