View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: do u guys use Harringtons\' M value?

[ QUOTE ]
w/ SnG's, i just use my # of BB's, it's easier to look at and know right away, and equally as useful.

M comes in to play when you have antes, the bigger than antes (in proportion to the blinds) the more useful M becomes over # of BB's.

I think live events would be where M is more important, as the antes are bigger there in proportion. i.e. typically on Stars the antes are 1/20th the BB. at EPT dublin they were 1/10th the BB... and i've read of ones even bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this the biggest reason why just looking at BBs is easiest for SNGs...Also its more complicated than just saying "I have 9BBs, push." or "I have 11 BBs, raise". (But lets not get into that here)

But in an SNG antes will rarely account for much of the preflop pot. For example, on stars, when the antes kick in, there will rarely be more than 125 worth of antes in the middle so its not a huge consideration (although it is relevant). In an MTT there will almost always be 9 or 10 times the ante in the middle so just looking at your # of BBs is not very helpful in showing where you're at, so to speak.

good post.