View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: White Nationalism as a Cultural Backlash

[ QUOTE ]
Is White Nationalism on the rise in America?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it probably had a recent peak with the militia movements in the mid 90's. It's been on a downward trend for a long time now (though clearly any kind of white supremacy or neo-nazism is too much).

Just because there are two teenagers who sing about white supremacy doesn't make it a movement on the rise. The media like all kinds of oddball stories. Here's one about a guy who claims to have been raped by a dog on the side of the highway (BBC). It doesn't mean there's a sudden upswing in rapacious dogs.

[ QUOTE ]
How long before politicians begin courting White Nationalists as a voting block?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the Republicans have been doing it under the table since at least the 60's. They'll never do it openly, though. It would alienate their suburban moderate support, and it will become less and less a viable strategy as whites make up a smaller portion of the population.

If there's a 30's style economic depression, I'm sure some fringe party will pop up to blame it all on the minorities. I doubt that party would ever get more than 1% of the vote.