View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

If you're trying to go camping and are going to have to start from scratch buying gear, good luck.

Make sure you get a good tent rated for 2-3 people. Practice setting it up and tearing it down several times before you take your trip. Practice doing it in the dark.

Buy a sleeping bag that will keep you warm. I like mummy bags but some aren't comfortable sleeping in them. I also like synthetic fill over down fill, as synthetic will still keep you warm even if its wet. Get a good ground pad also.

Get a nice stove suitable for what you're planning on doing. Also get cookware and buy a camping cookbook (I hate freeze-dried prepackaged meals).

Make sure you have quality clothing suitable for the conditions you are expecting to encounter.

Since you're bringing your dog be sure you have all of his shots necessary, and is currently on frontline or other pest control. Is your dog extremely reliable in an off lead situation? You still might want to keep him on lead your first few days as I'm sure he probably has less camping experience than you.

For the best camping experience make sure you have the top and bottom 10% of what you think you'll need. You need the bottom 10% to survive. The top 10% is what can keep a situation enjoyable.