View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: attitude on coinflips

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to link Aleomagus's old post regarding "A bad way to play on the bubble". But with the new forum upgrade, the search function has gone to crap.

[/ QUOTE ]regardless of bubble play, i can understand why wanting to flip with 4 left depending on your stack size is a bad thing, but then does that universally apply?

[/ QUOTE ]

the idea is that rather than risking all your chips on an early coinflip, you can save your chips (and, you know, hopefully add some along the way) for the two places where you should have the largest edge: 1) postflop play; and 2) after the blinds go up, where you will have the edge in understanding how to pushbot optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]this argument is the same as the one put forth in MTT strategy yet it is wrong there. is it wrong in sngs? perhaps. but perhaps not.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not, because there is no such thing as optimal pushbotting in mtts -- at least, it isnt anywhere NEAR as important as it is in SNGs, and so the misunderstanding of it isnt as big of a disadvantage for your opponents.

not to mention that, since you are talking about being on the good side of coinflips (the PP side), I assume you're talking about putting it allin with 99 or something like that. how is it you're able to narrow your opponents range to just overcards, and not overpairs? this is a pretty common flaw in this sort of thought.

also, the fact that it is such a short tournament is exactly why you don't need to take these coinflips. a lot of MTT experts will willingly stick their money in what they think will be a coinflip situation early because they realize that it is a long road and they have to accumulate chips. this isnt necessary in SNGs where you can simply wait until the blinds rise and steal like crazy.