View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Wait for the turn with an overpair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably have the best hand on the flop, normally I just bet or raise when I think I'm ahead. But in this case I'm also very vulnerable on the turn and river. Would the correct play be to smooth call the flop and raise the turn if a blank

[/ QUOTE ]

FLOP: For the very reason you state, I like an immediate raise to blow MP2 off any overcards or punish him for staying in with a hand like top pair and a gutshot. Punish the bettor SB right now also.

Just calling would offer MP 6:1 which lets him stay in with any pair also and gives him chances to make two pair or a set. Raise looks mandatory to me.

RIVER: I check with the four to a straight that just came in. You got calls, but I don't know why both those guys called you unless they had you beat. I would expect a fold or raise reply and to usually get little value from a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather bet-fold the river. You get called by any 6 and possibly any made pair on the flop plus occasionally small pocket pairs which won't bet the river with the four-straight on the board.

Flop raise is standard.