View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Question about $$ won

[ QUOTE ]
These questions are directed at anybody who play in a lot of sit & go's per day.

According to the FAQ, 13% is a number for a good player at the $55 game. My question is, since I'm esstentially brand new to the world of Single Table Tourneys in general, is that number typically the normal for a "winning" player at that level, or do you have be Justin Bonomo or Greg Raymer to expect win-rates such as listed in the FAQ? for each level.

On a side note, is 50 sit&g's a day about avg for a full-time Sit&Go player on here?

Thanks for any responeses.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a somewhat controversial topic because of the nature of the beast. Even though variance in SNGs is essentially fixed (by the structure) and small (compared to other forms of poker), it is still large enough to create enormous ranges between seemingly huge data sets.

Still, I think that in the fall of 2005, those ROI values are a good reference point and they are accurate for what a good player can expect.

To answer your question, no, you do not have to be as good as ZeeJ or Fossilman to achieve a 13% ROI at the $55's. But you do have to understand the ICM, the implications of Eastbay's work on hand values against pushers, MJ's blind stealing theorem, and correct early stage and ITM play to beat the $55's at that kind of clip. You can learn all of that here, or you can figure it out on your own without even knowing that the information has already been worked out and written about.

I will say this, too: very few players are as good as they think they are, and fewer still do better than they think they should over the course of a year or more.

I've posted threads in the past that pose the question "what makes you think you are so good?" The majority of short term winners believe that their results prove that they are good, even though they can't really explain what makes them a poker marvel. God-given talent, they suppose.

Players that beat this game consistently, over the course of many years work very hard at it. There's only ever been one Stu Ungar. Greg Raymer is the perfect counterpoint, and a great example for all of us to follow. Nobody in the poker community, and certainly nobody in the online poker community, worked so hard and thought so much about this game over the past 10 years. It paid off.

The reason for this little soliloquy is that if you read between the lines of your OP, what you are really asking is "is it easy to beat SNGs?" The answer is: not nearly as easy as it seems.

Irieguy