View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Question For Atheists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with that idea and certainly think I am an aethiest. Thats because I almost treat being a theist as requiring irrational thoughts. The way you have posed the question makes the option non-rediculous.

I think the other difference between an atheist that believes that is a possiblity, and a religious believer, is that the atheist wouldn't preach it as a certainty without more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems silly to me, if I get this right. If you aren't a theist because it requires irrational thoughts, why be an atheist? It requires irrational thoughts as well, because you're trying to explain something that you can't be qualified to explain, ie., the general form or purpose of the universe. I'd go so far to say that theists have a leg up on atheists, in that what they believe in could be proven, and that there might very well be actual evidence for it as well, although I wouldn't consider myself at all informed enough to say if there is or isn't. Atheism, on the other hand, can never be proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying that there is no solid evidence for the existence of god is not an irrational position. Claiming that there is a god and utilitzing weak arguments such as "god exists because it says so in the bible" could indeed be called irrational.