View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: A tough decision

this thread makes me laugh because the STT forum generates responses that don't seem very standard at all to a cash game player or even an MTTer.

I view STTs as mini MTTs, good hand, push edges early, if you're wrong you move onto the next. this might be a leak because i'm failing to comprehend that the reason you push small edges early is because in MTTs you want to accumulate chips to get you deep where the payouts are much larger. either way i'm on a quest to finish 1000 sngs and we'll see how my strategy goes.

in regards to the hand, 2nd hand of a SNG, no real read.
hero raises 5X BB after 2 EP limpers, indicating strength, villain donk re-raises to 175 which is less than 3x original raise. range of hands i'd put would be JJ+ and AK as OP mentioned. hero calls, indicates either a trap with a big pair or AK.

villain is first to act and checks on a KQrag rainbow board. either he's not afraid of a straight draw or he's weak.

hand range is consistent with JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, there's one hand that hero's ahead of and one hand where hero ties. however I discount AA because a KQ flop isn't pretty and I suspect AA bets here a good percentage of the time. KK is a one-outer which may or may no be likely. QQ is likely.

hero checks behind.

why did you check behind? afraid of monsters? pot control? want a cheap showdown?

people advocating a check behind, what happens if villain wakes up on later streets as he did? you're essentially lost in the hand and either muck it or call down. if you're going to muck, why the [censored] did you call the pre-flop re-raise in the first place? hoping to flop a straight?

next street brings another brick. this card helps somebody 1% of the time. villain bets a weak amount into the pot. hero calls. raising the turn is worse than betting the flop.
but in the absence of a flop bet I raise pot and fold to a push.

in this case hero calls. (why?)

river brings another brick and villain fires another weak bet out. why does villain bet so little and again after being called on turn? he's either weak and wants a cheapshowdown or he's value betting.

what does hero do here? and if people are advocating fold on the river after calling the turn, that play is horrible. plan what the hell you're going to do on later streets. if you're going to fold again to a weak bet then you should have folded the turn.

raising with TPTK is bad. calling is good.

in conclusion, either bet the flop and fold to a raise, if called check behind and control the pot. not once in the action did hero take control of the betting, esepcially with position. yarg.OTHERWISE, check/call down, especially when villain bets so weakly.

you guys need to think more about what villain is doing, what villain's hand range is and you also need to plan what you're going to do on later streets. calling turn only to fold to a river bet is just spewing.