View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Poker discourages me from staying in college

I've actually always very firmly believed college is the key to life. However, for some people, I'm starting to wonder if their 100k+ a year made playing poker isn't a good reason to POSTPONE (not quit) college. Since the poker bubble is likely to only last so long, why not catch it while you can? if you can build up a half mill in a few years of playing poker while it's good and then return to college, what are you sacrificing?

Let's say you play for five years until poker dies out or you get sick of it or whatever. Assume: you are very good, and make 100,000$ per year average after taxes and expenses. You have one or two years to go on college.
-You have effectively postponed your professional life for 5 years
-you have a net worth of half a million dollars waiting for you which is a fantastic launching platform and provides all kinds of options in life. Even the interest on that is something fine.

So you finish college at age 27, let's say. It seems that unless you plan on doing a job which will be greatly advantageous to start early (or which will provide some sort of consistent, high salary growth), it might be worth it...

It's wierd to think this way. I know my assumptions are steep but there's people out there like that.

Check/expand/critisize my logic.