View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Hank Aaron Being His Usual Racist Self

Yes, I agree with you on the intent of Bird's comments. I didn't think they should be a big deal, and they really weren't. FYI, there are studies indicating white players receive preference in the NBA (likely for marketing purposes the same way teams sign local benchwarmers).

Charles Barkley doesn't exactly represent the typical PC view either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here are the actual quotes. FWIW I think Aaron is off on this one.

Aaron: "It is very disturbing to see something like this. And you would think that this ballclub could find at least one or two African Americans, especially in this city. It's very disturbing. I think they need to look at that very carefully. They need to talk to people in the scouting department and everybody else because this needs to be addressed...That's part of it because the numbers aren't there. We don't have enough players. But I think each club needs to look at that carefully. The Astros need to address that. It's a thing where the way the game is played today you would think there is no excuse for an African American not to be on this club."

Bird: "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin [McHale] and some others throughout the league. I think it is good for a fan base, because, as we all know, the majority of fans are white America. And if you had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

I would point out there is no history of anti-white discrimination in the NBA like there is anti-black discrimination in baseball, so it's completely justifiable to say things re: missing blacks that would be inappropriate re: missing whites.

Because there is no reason to suspect teams are biased against whites, but plenty to make one suspicious that they may be against blacks.