View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Will he ever fold getting 114/1?

[ QUOTE ]
I think a MUCH better question would be: Why am I starting this hand with < 5BBs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because he read Barry Greenstein's book, and has done some thinking about the EV of playing as a short stack. He says that having a short stack increases your expected value, and I think that anything he says is at least worth considering.

I used to be one of those 'always have a big stack/ alwayrs rebuy early guys', but I am not in that group anymore.

If the game is normal, there is nothing wrong with playing with a short stack, you get a slight increase in your expected value, becuase you don't have to deal with negative implied odds on your made hands. If the game is out of line, and there is one player who will go off for multiple bets on a fairly regular basis, then there probably is more value in having a big stack on hand, so you can take him downtown.

Either way, you should actually think about the consequences of all of your choices instead of just running the party line. You might find some other plays that you assumed were always right, that aren't really optimal in all circumstances.