View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Let’s take a few minutes on the couch.

[ QUOTE ]
Even atheists have hope, fear, and comfort issues. Wouldn't we ALL like to believe that there is a better place waiting for us where our existence will never end, that evil will not go unpunished, and that someone is looking after us?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say that this is certainly not true of everybody equally. I would surmise that there is a strong correlation between atheists and libertarians. Some of the correlation is due, in my opinion, to: (1) commitment to reason, (2) skepticism of broad-sweeping claims by either the church or politicians, and ... (3) a belief that man can act as his own agent to create his destiny without the need for a god construct, (4) strong commitment to freedom, and the possible consequences freedom entails (we accept the risks and personal responsibility). Those more susceptible to needing a "better place" waiting for them or someone looking out for them are *probably* less individualistic by nature. I'll use my brain, my abilities, and take my chances without some higher-dimensional being having my back. If I fail or am wrong, I can live with that (and if I'm burning in Hell for eternity, I will be thinking "this is still a stupid idea.")