View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Believers in God want to have it both ways

[ QUOTE ]
Yet these same people claim to know and understand this same God's rules for us humans. How can you truly believe that you understand a being which is greater than the sum of everything that exists?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, and I think the majority of religious folks do make a big mistake here. I personally don't assume too much about God except that He has SOME purpose for our existence which we will probably never know, and that He has ways of giving us direction when and if we submit to Him and ask for it.

Apart from that I'm quite comfortable living with a lot of uncertainty and I don't believe too many literal interpretations of stories in the Bible.

My theory is that there is a small percentage of people who can sense God by communicating with Him directly (I consider myself in this camp), and a much greater percentage who need help from an intermediary like a priest.

An outside observer may see the priest and all his shortcomings and assume that because this man has shortcomings, everything he says must be a crock, while others overlook those and sense a much more important message coming from God. It is up to each individual which picture he wants to see, and whichever he chooses, he will be right IMO.